Sunday, June 26, 2011

Outraged! Only Fit to be an It


So, it’s about 5am right now. What I am doing awake at 5am on a Sunday morning when I should be taking full advantage of one of the only 2 days a week that I have the ability to sleep in, is completely confounding me right now. I woke up at 3am actually. And I haven’t been able to get back to sleep.

But, that is irrelevant. What is relevant, however, is that people update their Facebook statuses with interesting tidbits at that time of morning; usually residuals of a night of Saturday debauchery. Which is entertaining to say the least. But now, here is the problem. This is what I read and I will correct the drunken errors so you do not have to be subjected to the awkward head-tilt to the side trying to make out what the hell he was trying to spell.

Friend #1: We’re running from the cops! Shouldn’t of punched a bitch for fucking up my drink… That bitch got what she deserved
Friend #2: Fuckin she-males
Friend #1: She males are not human creatures

Friend #1: Please. I did nothing bad… Is it so wrong to punch a woman that is really a man??
Friend#3: nah, that woman was looking at me funny. It was asking for it
Random Person #1: if it’s pre-op it’s fair game!
Random Person #2: haha hell ya!
Discussion. First of all, this is Facebook we are talking about. And this is a status post. So, essentially, a means of waving your dirty laundry in everyone’s face. Or in this case, putting your ignorance and bigotry on your nose like a silver spoon and thinking that it’s a cool trick. Secondly, these are young adults. Not children. Not time-hardened, generationally separated grandparents. These are college graduates and young professionals. Thirdly, these are my friends. At least one of the parties is a BEST friend. And the primary offender is a high school friend and definite integral part of the core circle of friends.

I have no idea what transpired last night. Maybe the Tranny was bitchy or started the fight or attacked someone like a rabid, well-manicured raccoon. I have no idea. And I am all for self-defense and opening a Venti sized bottle of Whoop-Ass on anyone asking for it. But, something about this rang the little rainbow cowbell in my head.

THIS is the reason why Pride is so very important in this day. There is still way too much ignorance and misconception in the world today. And not just in Africa and China where the Gay and Human Rights movements are barely getting air beneath their wings, but right here, literally in my own backyard, where we have gained so much by way of Equality in the last 50 years or so, but we still think it’s okay to say things like Queers aren’t human beings.

And call them its.

It? Am I an it? Apparently I am because like that Transgender, I don’t fit the standards and typical definitions of mainstream Male and Female. I don’t wear dresses. Or makeup. I don’t flaunt my cleavage. Or giggle when boys give me attention. I don’t have the same outlook or values or goals as a hetero female. I’m oftentimes much more in sync with my masculinity than my femininity. All the same qualities as that Transgirl that got punched in the face.

It.

Apparently, to my friends, and much of modern America, I am an It.

So, all things considered, I was offended.

Now, maybe I’m overreacting. Maybe, I’m being too sensitive and the drunken rambling of an ultra-hetero-masculine-chauvinist are not something that should be rubbing my fur the wrong way. But it is. And even as an It, I am still entitled to my feelings.

2 comments:

  1. other then Tumblr I have no idea how i came across your blog in reality... lets just call it meant to be. I was born and raised in orange county and when i was 18 years old my mother and I decided we could not take it any longer and moved up to long beach. we have been here 4 years now and they have been the greatest change to our life/ life styles... See we are both gay, I am a little more open and blunt about it, i was able to tell my mom when i was 15 and she was more then ok with it, maybe thats cuz 3 years later she ended up telling me that she too was gay and leaving my father...
    orange county is not the most comfortable place to be for anyone not straight white and rich but its where we both grew up so i wont knock it too much LOL and trust me the gay community while behind the orange curtain is no smaller then any community
    --Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is definitely an interesting situation with both your mom and yourself identifying as gay and being open about your orientation and identities. Im glad you understand what I mean in saying that OC is a little unwelcoming when it comes to the queer community... i hope to help change that in the very near future. This is my home. And im tired of being jealous of and leeching off of the thriving gay communities of surrounding cities

    ReplyDelete